When most of the country was running short on flour and sugar, there was certainly no shortage of bananas! Our local grocery store had them for 10 cents a pound, so we stocked up and made plans to cook up some tasty banana-filled treats.
Banana bread is always a go-to when trying to use up overripe bananas. But, we wanted to take the family favorite to the next level, so we added elements of two of our other favorite desserts….coffee cake and cheesecake. We took our tried and true banana bread recipe, added a swirl of cheesecake, and topped it with a brown sugar/pecan streusel that put it over the top!
We also wanted to make this bread into muffins so that it would be an easy grab-n-go treat, and we could freeze any leftovers. No surprise that there were zero leftovers, but it’s the thought that counts, right?
Don’t let the three elements of this recipe intimidate you. It’s easy and comes together quickly. And you won’t even notice the extra dishes after you taste these little gems. Enjoy!
Banana Bread Cheesecake Muffins
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Persons: 6
- Difficulty: Easy
- For the Bread:
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- For the Cheesecake:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons chilled butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 18 muffin cups and set aside.
- For Bread:
- In a small bowl, cream together bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and granulated sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Beat until well combined. Add sour cream and banana mixture. Beat well.
- For Cheesecake:
- Cream together cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth. Set aside.
- For Topping:
- Stir together cinnamon, flour and brown sugar until well combined. Cut in butter using your fingers or a pastry blender until mixture resembles large crumbs. Stir in pecans.
- To Assemble:
- Divide bread batter evenly among 18 muffin cups. Top with cheesecake mixture and use a knife to gently swirl the two batters together. Spoon topping on top of batter and press it down lightly into the batter with the back of a spoon. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you have any leftovers (and we doubt you will), be sure to refrigerate them. Simply reheat in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds when you’re ready to have another!
30-Minute Skillet Gnocchi Lasagna
ULTIMATE Copycat Restaurant Spinach Queso
How to Make Crack BLT Skillet Totchos
How To Make Lunch Lady Brownies
How To Make Ranch Style JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE
You Can Make Whipped Hot Chocolate...Three Ways!
How to Make Honeycomb Toffee (aka Sponge Candy)
How to Make Old-Fashioned Divinity
Johnny Cash's Mom's Pineapple Pie