Biscuits & gravy is a southern breakfast classic! The combo may have first been developed out of economic necessity, but it stuck around for one good read…..It is darn tasty and easy to make!
Venture into any southern restaurant and chances are good that you’ll find biscuits and gravy on the menu. Some enjoy the classic white gravy ladled over a hot biscuit that has been smothered in butter. Others prefer to add sausage to the gravy to kick it up a notch. We just so happen to be on Team Sausage. And, the only thing better than your momma’s sausage gravy and biscuits, is a casserole made with the delicious pairing.
We created a tasty twist on the breakfast go-to, and it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. If you prefer a saucier casserole, simply double the sausage and gravy filling. We use our family favorite Old-Fashioned Butter Biscuits (aka Sky High Biscuits) to put this dish over the top. Check out the recipe below!
Sausage Gravy & Biscuits Casserole
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Persons: 6
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 pound spicy ground breakfast sausage
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 batch Old-Fashioned Butter Biscuits (link below)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook breakfast sausage. Do not drain off grease!
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until absorbed.
- Stir together milk and water then stir into the sausage mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes or until gravy has thickened.
- Pour sausage gravy into a casserole dish.
- Cut biscuit dough into rounds (if using canned dough, cut each biscuit into quarters). Place biscuits on top of the gravy. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and immediately brush with melted butter. Serve and enjoy!
FIND OUR RECIPE FOR OLD-FASHIONED BUTTER BISCUITS (SKY HIGH BISCUITS) HERE: https://countryrebelrecipes.com/old-fashioned-butter-biscuits/
30-Minute Skillet Gnocchi Lasagna
ULTIMATE Copycat Restaurant Spinach Queso
How to Make Crack BLT Skillet Totchos
How To Make Lunch Lady Brownies
How To Make Ranch Style JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE
You Can Make Whipped Hot Chocolate...Three Ways!
How to Make Honeycomb Toffee (aka Sponge Candy)
How to Make Old-Fashioned Divinity
Johnny Cash's Mom's Pineapple Pie
[…] Use these biscuits as shortcakes for our Fireball Peaches & Cream Shortcakes or as the topping for Sausage Gravy & Biscuits Casserole. […]